DMA's Gig Review

A sweat congested room. Dark and dingy walls with a floor painted in dirt. A crowd of anticipating fans. There can only be one venue. Welly. There can only be one location. Hull.

The music echoed off the walls as the sound of someone's singing bounced off my ear drums. A deafening sound of the crowd cheers "Yorkshire! Yorkshire! Yorkshire". They walk on stage. The crowd jumbles as a washing machine. With every lyric sung, a male body thrusts against my small frame, sandwiching me between the crowd like a compressor.

With that description, it sounds like hell. But, it's brilliant. There's nothing more I get a better thrill out of than going to a gig or concert and being thrown around by the crowd as it carries your movement. I will admit, sometimes it's scary when you're trapped in such a confined space, but luckily enough being 5"7 means I can control over the rhythm of the crowd.

Having already seen DMA's at Live at Leeds a few months ago, I was not surprised at their talent. There were no dodgy vocals that went out of tune or any song that didn't hype the crowd. Even the preview of their new song,"Dawning", illuminated energy throughout the room. I think that just about shows the potential of this band. This very small band from Sydney, Australia.

Fame is not at the forefront of their mind, however. Delivering good quality music and entertaining crowds is what they aim to deliver.

With small bands like this, I always worry about their future potential. I remember bands such as Catfish and The Bottlemen playing at small venues in Hull. Now, look at them. Selling out arenas in hours.

I won't bore you with the finer details of each song played by DMA's. However, the ones that stuck out for me had to be the classic "Delete" and the *unexpected* encore songs such as Laced and Lay Down. All I can say is, this band has sheer potential.

If you've never listened to DMA's before, think a mixture between Blossoms and Courteneers. Well. I got that from a website I've just looked on which listed artists similar to DMA's. I, quite frankly haven't found any other band like them.

Thanks for reading, Meg.

Comments