Sundara Karma

If I'm going to be a completely brutally honest and loyal to my thousands of fans... I wasn't really looking forward to this gig. I only knew of around 3 songs. To which I could barely sing along to without looking like my mouth was a washing machine.

The main reason for my attendance was curiosity. As the venue was so close by to me - Northumbria University, I had nothing to lose. Also, the tickets were a ridiculously cheap price of £6. Although, I would quite happily have paid more after my experience of seeing them live.

As I didn't do my research, I wasn't aware of the support act. Tut tut. However, they were spectacular.  The Magic Gang were energetic, happy and vocally perfect. I had previously heard of a few of their songs before but never gave them a listen. Songs which were particularly vibrant included their most popular anthems, 'Alright' and 'Your Love'. These created a wave of excitement from the crowd, which was already rammed into the tiny venue like sardines.

Yes. Here is a very bad quality photo taken by my iPhone 5S. Cred to me for taking it despite being bashed by the vibrating mosh pit crowd.

I apologise for the very quality. But, its better than nothing...

Now, onto the main prize. Sundara Karma. Ok, so initially I was slightly oblivious to the first. few songs they played as I had never heard them before. However, they were enjoyable songs. I could even stretch far enough to say that they were tunes that are worthy of being on my Spotify playlist. That is saying something.

My friend and I joked that we no longer had an interest in engaging in mosh pits as we were too old. Ha, too old. We're 18 years of age. But, our inner desire burned. It was around 20 minutes into the gig that we declared that we were going in the mosh pit. The gig went from a 6/10 to an 8/10. Although, you have to grin and bear the mist of sweat and accept that you probably will have limited oxygen. But, this is all part of the enjoyment, I mean, who doesn't love being crushed by 80 people into the back of the barrier?

As the gig continued, sequences of crying girls escaped the crowd after bearing the extremely lively crowd.  Luckily, I didn't find it too unbearable and call me weird but I love to go in mosh pits. It's what makes it. But, I can empathise with those who hate them. At the end of the day, you've got to expect it when going to an alternative band gig.

To my amazement, the crowd still managed to be energetic throughout less rowdy songs such as, 'Be Nobody' and 'Deep Relief' but heck, I guess that's indies for you. Mind you, it's hypocritical of me as my preferred music taste is indie. But, an indie never admits that they're indie. Instead, they slag off others that are indie.

Particular "bangers" included songs such as 'A Young Understanding", "Flame" and "She Said'. However, there is a large collection of other unreal tunes by Sundara Karma on Spotify. The deciding factor for me is, are any of their songs on Fifa? The answer is yes. Their anthem 'Flame' is featured in the most recent edition, Fifa 18.

Comments