"I thought everyone felt this way"

"I identify as a microwave" - 500 retweets and 800 favourites. Wow, well done Marc. You're a true twitter comedian.

C'mon now, lets put the stigma on a shelf and put the unoriginal jokes to bed. It's not the 19th century anymore. There are people out there who are being ridiculed for their identity. How insensitive can you be to use your own privileged position to make fun of others?

If you're going to show concern for suicide, don't continue to bully others. How would you feel if a transgender person committed suicide? Would you feel responsible?


I got the opportunity to sit down with Chloe, who was born a male. The 20-year-old describes her childhood as being confusing and restricting due to her "sheltered upbringing".

Living in this strict environment meant that she was made to feel like her identity was pre-decided for her and that she was always going to suffer being a male.

Chloe said: "The idea of changing gender was automatically rejected in my head because it didn't seem a normal thing to do. No one I knew was going through the same thing as me."

Originating from the Lake District, Chloe grew up as an only child feeling as if she was an outcast compared to her family. 

Chloe said: "I thought everyone felt this way and had similar urges to change their gender. The only way I can describe it is that I felt like my life was a lie. I felt confused and uncomfortable all the time. I couldn't shake out of it."

Why is it that those with gender identity are frowned upon yet those with constant style and appearance changes are accepted?

Chloe said: "University was the changing point for me. I began to find more people who were like me and I was less likely to be judged. I came from such a small town where everyone knew everyone and I needed to get away from that. I don't know where I would be now if I didn't go to uni."

Despite this, Chloe still suffers from anxiety at times such as getting on the bus and facing social situations.

Another difficulty is being addressed by her birth name instead of her new name.

Chloe said: "I see my birth name as my dead name and I hate it when people use it. I find it mocking and disrespectful towards everything I worked so hard for."
 
Though the celebrity, Caitlyn Jenner, had a simple transition, for others it is a highly complicated process. 

Chloe was told by the NHS that she was going to be having surgery in just 3 months’ time. This was then further delayed to 9 months.

Chloe said: “No one can understand the pain of seeing something you don’t want to see in the mirror every day and being told that you’re going to have to wait almost 9 months until something can be done about it is excruciating.”.

The idea of going under the knife is a scary idea but Chloe says she is "more excited than nervous about the outcome".


Once Chloe is fully transitioned, she says that she will feel as if she can finally progress further with her life as a woman.

Despite the initial anxiety, Chloe encourages those in her position to use University to further explore their identity to avoid being stuck in a never-ending sense of confusion.



Comments